Friday, November 8, 2013

What's in a Name?

There is an old adage that I think is credited to Henry Ford.  "Never complain, never explain".  I'm not sure how that applies but I've been remiss in posting anything for more time than I care to admit. I'm determined to post more frequently, it just becomes a matter of time.

Writing is still one of my passions. It's something I truly enjoy doing and while I may not be able to get in front of the keyboard on a daily basis, I don't think you ever really stop writing.  I find myself working on dialogue or plot twists while I'm driving, hiking the trails or sitting on hold.  And I'm a firm believer that inspiration can strike anywhere, any time.  Recently I was in the grocery store, wandering through aisles looking for a few elusive ingredients when an idea struck.  Imagine writing a parody or humorous piece about cooking. You could name all your characters after ingredients or spices.  Cory Ander, Mar Joram, Rosemary Sage and more.

Which brings me to names. Coming up with creative names for your characters can be a trick, but it can be such a blast, especially when the readers catch on.  The very talented M S Spencer does this with subtle style.

Today I'm a guest author on the Savvy Author blog, talking about character names. Stop by and see what you think.  And if you have any ideas for clever names, I'd love to hear them.

http://savvyauthors.com/blog/index.php/whats-in-a-name-by-mark-love

No comments:

Post a Comment