Saturday, July 12, 2014

Roll With It


Sometimes, you just gotta roll with it.  I can't write those words without thinking of that great rock and roll number by Steve Winwood.  There's no way to not move with this number, particularly if you're watching the video.
 
Maybe it's just me, but when I'm trying to write, there's no way I can do it in absolute silence. Music is a part of it, just like it's a part of life.  Different types of music, from jazz to rock to the blues can have an impact on the scenes I'm writing and how my characters behave (or misbehave as the case may be.)
Things lately continue to be busy.  And if the recent news I've got is any indication, there are no signs of it slowing down anytime soon.
 "Fleeing Beauty" the third book in the Jamie Richmond series, has been accepted by Secret Cravings Publishing.  It's slated for a release as an e-Book in October. Usually a print copy follows in a couple of months, so that could be out before the end of the year.  To have two books released in the same year with two different publishers is going to be a blast.  You may wonder why I'm with two houses.  I view all of my books as mysteries, but the Jamie series could cross into both the mystery and romance genres.  "Why 319?" does have a little bit of romance, but it certainly plays a minor role in this book. That's why I went looking for another publisher and that may lead to finding a larger audience for my books.

If you're familiar with the series, you know Jamie is this curious, stubborn redhead who draws trouble like kids to an ice cream cone on a hot summer day.  Book three focuses on a discovery of a hidden storeroom and studio that her late father, who was a very successful artist had.  When a theft takes place, it's just one of the mysteries Jamie is determined to solve, along with learning more about her father's life and her own past. Mix in a few new colorful characters, a budding romance and the appearance of her wayward mother and we're off on another adventure.  Here’s a little bit to get things started.  I'm anxious to see this one hit the market and what the cover looks like.

 

* ** *

I don’t want to die.

I’m not ready for it. There are too many things I haven’t experienced yet. Places to go, people to meet, adventures waiting to be discovered. I want to gaze at the stars over the Mediterranean Sea while making love with Malone. I want to fly in a sailplane. I want to stand on a beach in Key West and dip my toes in the ocean and the gulf. I want to travel to exotic lands, dine on their cuisine and dance my little ass off to the local music. I want all of that and much more.

But I don’t think any of that is going to happen.

We’re all going to die.

Once this gang gets what they’re after, there is no reason to leave us behind. They’re not going to lock us in a closet and make a run for it. We’ve all seen their faces. We know their names. We can identify them. There is no way they will let us live. Their leader has a violent streak and it’s only a matter of time before he lashes out again.

My mind is flashing on ways out of this. But nothing makes sense, nothing that will allow me to stop them, to guide us out of here safely.

I don’t want to die.

But there is nothing I can do to prevent it.

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment