Sunday, August 10, 2014

One Step Closer

I've been waiting for this for a while now, ever since "Why 319?" was accepted for publication with Black Rose Writing.  Authors always have ideas in their heads as to how they think the cover should look. We may offer suggestions to the artists and hope that they come up with something that is even remotely close to what we had in mind. Sometimes they're close. Other times...not so much. And sometimes, it's damn near spooky how close they are.

This morning I received the cover art for the book. As I was about to open the message, I had that momentary flash of uncertainty, sort of like meeting a blind date.  Would it meet with my expectations?  Or would it be somehow disappointing, with a thought of 'well, it will do.'  This was the moment I'd been waiting for. So as I opened his message,the image jumped out at me.
Turns out I had nothing to worry about.

Dave King got it. He'd read the story, looked at my notes and probably said to himself, "I can do you one step better" or words to that effect. 

A little more than three weeks from now, the book will be released. With the cover done, I'm one step closer to holding a copy of the book.  For a writer, that's a sense of accomplishment that I think will never grow old. 


No comments:

Post a Comment