Sunday, November 22, 2015

Gotta Have Music

During a meeting with the writer's workshop recently, someone mentioned the only way they can write is in a quiet room. No distractions, nothing to break their concentration. They assumed that everyone was the same way. Several around the table nodded in agreement. All eyes came to me. I could only shake my head and laugh.

"No way," I said with a grin. "There must be music. I can't work in silence. It drives me crazy." 

I went on to explain that certain music can set the mood and have an impact on what I'm writing. If I'm working on narration, setting the stage with a lot of background information, it's very possible that I'll have some instrumental music in the background. If there's dialogue at play, particularly if it's between a man and a woman and there is some sexual tension, I may dial up something like Sinatra, Tony Bennett, Diana Krall or some old Motown classics, with the sultry undertones that help carry the message.  If it's fast paced, like a chase scene, a shootout or the final confrontation, it can be rock and roll. We're talking anything from Bob Seger and Bruce Springsteen to ZZ Top, Stevie Ray Vaughan and more. Thank goodness for Pandora, where you can spin the dial with a click of the mouse and set the mood accordingly.

But variety is a part of life. Lately I've been doing a lot of editing, rereading manuscripts, getting them ready for publication.  I've landed a new contract with Inkspell Publishing for the Jamie Richmond mysteries.  In December,  "Devious" the first book in the series will be released.  I'm ready for my favorite redhead to return to the scene.   Meanwhile, in editing mode, I've been listening to a lot of the Gipsy Kings and great guitar work of Jesse Cook. 

So if you're looking for a change of pace check these guys out.

You can preorder "Devious" on Amazon now.
http://www.amazon.com/Devious-Jamie-Richmond-Mystery-Book-ebook/dp/B017Y9XMHC/ref=dp_kinw_strp_1





By the way, I don't normally watch the numerous talent shows on the air. But when looking for a clip recently that could be used as an example for the business class I teach, I stumbled upon this one.  It gave me chills and I haven't been able to get it out of my system yet.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNfevm-_Q_0

No comments:

Post a Comment