Saturday, March 14, 2015

Fiction Readers Make Better People!

I have always been a voracious reader.  At times, I'll get so engrossed in a good book that the kitchen could catch fire and I wouldn't notice. As such, I've always believed that readers make better people. Particularly those who read fiction. It takes a certain imagination to get swept up in a good story. It definitely takes talent to write one that can draw your reader along for the ride. 

What I've always found intriguing is to get caught up in a story and learn new things along the way.  Guys like James Rollins, who writes those amazing Sigma novels, can weave espionage, history, religion and science together in such an engaging way that you don't realize you're learning something new. Rollins always amazes me.  It's no accident that it happens. You just never know when you'll pick something up.  If you haven't tried one of his books yet, I highly recommend "Map of Bones".  Stop by his website if you'd like to sample some of his efforts.

http://jamesrollins.com/

Anyway I was reading a business article the other day and was delighted to see a scientific study that supported what I always believed to be true: Those who read fiction make better people. Hey, don't take my word for it. Check out the piece in the link below.


http://mic.com/articles/104702/science-shows-something-surprising-about-people-who-love-reading-fiction


And just in case you hadn't heard it, today is PI day.  That's the mathematical PI. 3.1415 and so on.  Seems like it is causing a run on the bakeries.  Got a favorite?  Here's a shot of mine.

Image result for key lime pie

No comments:

Post a Comment