Sunday, March 8, 2015

Music sets the tempo

Last week I met with the writer's workshop group. It was a smaller gathering than normal, but interesting nonetheless.  One of the guys mentioned he must have absolute silence when he's writing and he assumed that's the way everyone does. He was befuddled when looking to me for confirmation.  I merely pointed out that what works for him doesn't necessarily work for everyone else. I'm an example of that.

Years ago I discovered that I cannot write without music. Different types of music seem to match my mood or the mood I'm trying to create.  If it's a fast paced scene, with plenty of action, I'll put on some serious rock and roll or some rhythm and blues.  ZZ Top, Bruce Springsteen, Bob Seger and Stevie Ray Vaughan may be in the lineup.  Slower music like Diana Krall, James Taylor or Earl Klugh fit well with episodes of reflection or seduction.


     Image result for Diana Krall photos



I explained that for me, music sets the tempo. Faster tracks lead to short, fast sentences, where the scene is moving quickly. The trick is to draw your reader along, matching your pace. Slower tracks offer a peak behind the curtain, where you can get inside the character's head and see what they're thinking or feeling.

But that's what works for me.  As I told him, everyone is different. You have to find out what works for you.  Music works for me.  And I'd be lost without Pandora, where I can change tracks at will.

                                                          ***

I learned yesterday that the beginning of "Vanishing Act"  the second book in the Jamie Richmond series,is featured in the March issue of "Cravings" magazine.  You can check it out here.

http://cravingsmagazine.weebly.com/march-2015-cravings-e-zine.html


Don't forget there's still time to win a free copy of "Why 319?" by entering at Goodreads. Two copies will be given away at the end of the month.


No comments:

Post a Comment